Monday 25 August 2014

preparations for a year down under - an update on my australia plans

australia on the world map down under post

Hellooo!

I haven't mentioned my move to Australia lately but many of you asked if it's still on, so: yes!
Let me give you an update:

The visa
I received the confirmation for my work and travel visa some weeks ago. It will be valid for one year and enables me to work in whatever job I want as long as I don't work in the same job for longer than six months.
Usually you have to apply for a visa on some government website but I was given the good advice to contact the Australian Shop in Cologne. You pay some extra money and they take care about all the application stuff for you. All I had to do was wait for their email and print it out, so I didn't have any stress at all.


You can find more info about different visas online at the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

australian kangaroos at the beach down under post

The flight
I'm lucky to be friends with a travel agent. She was so kind to find an awesome flight offer for me. The flight is the most expensive part about going to Australia, so I'm glad I was able to book it three months in advance. It's like with other flights too: the earlier you book, the cheaper it will be.
Especially for people with a limited visa I recommend looking for an Open Return Ticket. You pay for both flights (there and back) now and then you're able to freely choose a date for the return flight within one year starting from the day you took the outward flight.
I paid about 1000 € in total now and the advantage is that I don't have to worry about the return flight as it's already safe now.
In total my flight will take about 19,5 hours (including a two hours stop in Abu Dhabi to change aircraft), which is long but still one of the shortest flights available.


If you need some more advice: this little booking guide for flying to Australia is really helpful too.

cityscape australia down under post

The plans
I will leave at the end of October and move in with my boyfriend in Perth. He has already rented a cute little house for us, hence I don't have to worry about a thing accommodation-wise. 
I have saved up some money to bring me through the first few weeks there without a job.
However I will start looking for a job as soon as possible (maybe even apply online before I leave Germany) because I'm anxious about being unemployed and broke after a while.
My dream is to find a marketing position or at least another internship but if it fails I'll take café or retail jobs too to stay financially stable.
Jarryd and I also plan to go on trips so he can show me the country. Sydney and Melbourne are definitely on the bucket list as well as lots of places in Western Australia. Maybe even a trip over to New Zealand if I have enough money.

I'm really looking forward to going to Oz so soon!
By the way I'm not planning to move over forever (yet) and also my visa doesn't let me anyway, so I'll be back to Germany after a year (I also wouldn't want to waste the return flight because it's already paid).
Nobody knows what will come afterwards, we will see... 

'straya down under post picture


Here are some more helpful links in case you are planning to go to Australia:



SEEK (biggest Australian job website)

Gumtree (Australia's version of Craigslist)
Australia on Pinterest (to inspire your personal bucket list)
Fit For Travel (advice on vaccinations)
Australian Slang Words (weird and sometimes funny vocabulary)



If you have any questions feel free to post them in the comments and I will answer them.


Happy Thursday!




Share this article :

20 comments:

  1. Oh wie cool, Australien ist bestimmt sehr schön, ich war leider noch nie dort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That map is a riot! Of course being it leaves out the Australian fashion and beauty bloggers like Imogen of Tia_Cherie and Jade of Make Me Stunning. I liked the Australian slang definitions in the Trip Advisor though the slang isn't all limited to just Australian use. I've heard Jennie of FROCKTASIA and Vix of Vintage Vixen both use the term knackered, and I've heard the term "knee biters" in place of "ankle biters" used here in the U.S..
    The scenic photo of the 3 kangaroos hopping along the beach is gorgeous.
    I hope you have a fabulous time in Australia!


    http://www.full-brief-panties.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you all the best dear.
    Have a great week
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow.. this is so exciting!!! good luck!
    i'd want to see australia one day! :D

    Animated Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you visit Adelaide at any point let me know! I'll be happy to show you around!

    Wardrobe Quarry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this post! Would like to visit Australia!


    Ciao ciao

    ReplyDelete
  7. Das ist ein toller Post! Ich will auch unbedingt mal nach Australien! :)
    Ich habe gerade eine Blogvorstellung laufen und ich würde mich freuen, wenn du mitmachst! :)

    http://photosloveandhappiness.blogspot.de/2014/08/blogvorstellung-30.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Das sind echt super tolle Tipps für einen Australien Aufenthalt. Ich wußte schon, dass man ein Visa beantragen kann, aber nicht im Australien Shop (cool). Du findest bestimmt ganz schnell einen Job und wirst dort viel Spaß haben. Du glückliche. Wünsch die einen tollen Wochenstart!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! it's going to be such an exciting year ahead for you! living and working in a new country as well as exploring the cities in australia. it reminds me when i first move to hong kong.

    have a great adventure!!

    xoxo
    mochaccinoland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bald gehts los bei dir ,wie aufregend! Wünsche dir viel Erfolg und toi toi toi bei allem was du gerne machen möchtest <3

    Liebe Grüße und herzliche Umarmung :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a big change in your life! best wishes and take care!x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my god, take me with you !!!!

    Bisous !
    Sofia
    http://nuagedemoutons.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post! So excited for you!

    xx,
    www.mellowyellowblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Being from Australia, I can really appreciate this. Excited. Hope you come to Sydney and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds exciting and scary! My brother moved to Australia and have managed to get citizenship there now. They love it and I don't think they'll ever come back to England now!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so completely jealous that you will be moving to Australia for a year! I've always wanted to travel there! Can't wait to see all of your pictures!!
    xo TJ

    http://www.hislittlelady.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's gonna be amazing year for you :)))

    effiesdress.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's so cool to hear about your plan of going to Australia! I'd love to visit someday, and I am eager to hear of your recommendations once you make your way over there. :D

    -Helen Grace

    Sweet Helen Grace

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm also doing a year abroad in Australia! My partner and I arrive in Sydney in less than a month and couldn't be more excited!!

    {Teffy's Perks} X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, I really appreciate every single one! <3

 

bad taste toast Copyright © 2013 Minima Template
Designed by BTDesigner Published..Blogger Templates · Powered by Blogger